Well, hello there! All those snow days last month gave me cabin fever and cabin fever makes me want to change things up. So, last Thursday during the ice storm, I started to tackle our hall bath. It’s the kids’ bathroom, so it was by no means getting an overhaul, just a refresh on a budget.
Here are some pictures from the day we moved in and, aside from hanging a shower curtain, this room has looked pretty much the same for the last two and a half years. Nothing horrible about it–well, except maybe that red wallpaper on the light switch thing, that was pretty horrible. Thankfully the previous owners took the toilet paper holder, towel bars, and mirror that coordinated with the light switch covers because, honestly, I was not going to be able to work with those.
Now let me tell you a sad story about paint. I endeavored to mix my own paint color again, as I have done with a few projects in the past. So, I sorted through my 50 Shades of Gray (intentional reference) paint in the garage and chose a few favorites. When you mix paint, you have to mix a large enough portion to do the entire project because if you run out, you’ll never be able to mix the exact proportions again. So I started with a good portion of white paint that I’d been storing in our master bathroom. But when I went to mix in the greenish-gray that I’d intended to use, the paint was gloppy and separated. No matter how much I stirred the paint, I couldn’t get the paint smooth. Then I opened 3 or 4 more cans of paint that I could mix, figuring that was just a fluke, but ALL OF MY PAINT was ruined. Every gallon, quart, random sample, and even all my touch up paint…kaput. Apparently, latex paint can survive one or two freeze/thaw cycles, but the last few weeks of bitter cold was too much for all the paint in my garage. PSA: Don’t store latex paint in your garage over harsh winters. The More You Know.
In addition to the white paint I had been storing in my master bathroom, I also had some gray paint left over from the fireplace brick and downstairs vanity in Restoration Hardware Slate. Even though it wasn’t my initial plan, I had to do something with this paint I’d already mixed, so I added the Slate paint color and just ran with it. Some of the gloppy paint in the mix had to be sanded out between coats but, aside from that extra step, the paint went on well and the new color works well with the rest of the grays in the house.
So, painting aside, we did a few more updates in the bathroom. The first one I want to tell you about is the grout painting. I bought this stuff at Home Depot for $12.97.
To apply, you basically scrub it into the grout joints with a toothbrush and wipe the residual colorant off of the tile with a damp sponge. The tile will look hazy, but you can go back over that after it’s dry and buff the haze out. So here’s an example of what the grout looked like before using the GroutRenew. It was an off-white that had turned yellow with…age. Yeah, let’s go with age. Not because it’s in a bathroom frequented by little boys. Anyway, no amount of scrubbing with bleach gave me the desired results.
And here’s the tile after the initial application (but before I wiped the haze away).
The gray grout really ties in nicely with the gray walls and drops the 80’s beige-ness of the room down a notch.
We also did the following to spruce up the bath: (with budget breakdown)
-Spray painted the drawer/cabinet hardware ($0–on hand)
-Spray painted the shower curtain rod ($0–on hand)
-Spray painted the floor heat register ($0–on hand)
-Purchased a new light fixture to replace the builder brass job ($42 Home Depot)
-Purchased a decorative/functional shelf ($18 Home Depot)
-Framed out the mirror using crown molding ($15 Home Depot)
-Replaced the showerhead with a water-efficient model ($15 Home Depot)
-Added new printable bathroom art in frames we had on hand ($0–sources: here and here)
-Hung existing shower curtain, rug, towel hooks, and accessories ($0–on hand)
-Replaced the outlets, switches and covers with white ($10 Home Depot)
Adding the GroutRenew our bathroom refresh budget came out to $113 and took us about two afternoons to complete.
Now for some grainy (sorry, hadn’t had my coffee yet) photos of the finished product.